Public Administration Program

Joint Degrees, Certificates, & Dual Credits

Public Administration students may take advantage of the option to earn a joint graduate degree, or to combine our Master's degree with a certificate from another program. Combining the MPA with a certificate can be especially attractive, and consideration of this option is encouraged.

In many cases some credits can be counted toward both the MPA and the certificate.

Joint Degrees, Certificates, & Dual Credits

Shidler College of Business - Students interested in combining work in public administration with business administration may do so in a couple of ways. First, students seeking a master's degree in business may enroll in Public Administration's Certificate Program. Many of the public administration credits also can be counted toward the business degree. Second, students in public administration may choose to enroll in business classes for their elective concentration. Interested students may contact the business school at (808) 956-8266 or

Political Science Department - Individuals who wish to join the more applied learning of public administration with work in one or more of the fields offered by political science can combine the Public Administration Certificate with the Master's or Ph.D. program in Political Science. For information about the Political Science Department graduate programs, contact the graduate secretary at, (808) 956-7513, or visit their website at

Program on Conflict Resolution - The Program offers a 15-credit Certificate in Conflict Resolution. Students interested in learning conflict resolution tools useful in interpersonal and professional relations may combine the MPA with this Certificate. Course work focuses on the dynamics of group conflict; how and why group deliberations falter; the skills for organizing and leading group work; and designing culturally appropriate dispute resolution processes. For more information visit or call (808) 956-6433.

Department of Urban and Regional Planning - Offers three certificates, some course work can be double counted in te pursuit of these degrees per approval of advisors

School of Social Work - Master's of Social Work students may take the Graduate Certificate in Public Administration. The 15 credits of the Public Administration Certificate will also count toward the concentration course requirements of the MSW degree. Interested MSW students should apply for admission to the PUBA certificate program.

Telecommunication and Information Resource Certificate - This program is designed to develop an understanding of new media environments. It focuses on management, human resource, and other issues related to selected state-of-the-art and emerging information technologies. Classes are web-based. For more information contact the School of Communications at (808) 956-8848, or visit